Monday, 23 June 2014

Denims a bleach


When revamping boring denim, bleach can be a daunting thing. It's just so darn unpredictable! I get bored with denim very easily and I don't believe I have any jeans in their original state, they are all either dyed, ripped or tie dyed in bleach. Personally I love the stuff and so far it had never gone wrong for me, until now.

So I wanted to achieve the cloudy dip dye look on my Vintage Levi's jacket using a spray bottle filled with bleach and hot water. I then intended to apply pastel pink dye to the white areas. My jacket had other ideas. The bleach turned my denim YELLOW not white! I was horrified, I knew this sometimes happened but i'd been so lucky in my bleach experiments so far. This was not what i'd set out to do, but after I'd washed the jacket and let it dry the bright yellow had faded a little which looked a lot better. After getting a second and third opinion I decided to just go with it, I now love how it's turned out. It feels so crisp and summery and I wouldn't change it at all.

For me it's simple if I can easily do something myself, why pay the store price? I was being pretty brave doing this to vintage Levi's but it paid off. Alternatively if you don't want to use any of your current denim items then buy a cheap used garment on Ebay and do it that way. If you're considering trying out any bleaching techniques then seriously go for it! it's much more rewarding to know you've done it yourself and that no one else will have the same. I wanted to share my this bad yet unexpectedly good experience with you to show that when it comes to bleaching, sometimes a disaster can be a blessing in disguise. This was a mistake but if you wanted to create a yellow dip dyed effect on you're denim jacket then I can only advise you spray pastel yellow fabric dye on top of the bleach process after. I have listed the steps for creating the cloudy dip dye look below!






unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the process as it was a spontaneous decision but it was only 4 easy steps; 
  1. Fill an empty spray bottle with hot/warm water and bleach and shake to really mix it up
  2. (do this outside) spray the upper section all over to create a stone washed affect, do 3 coats of it
  3. Dip the jacket in a bucket of the same bleach solution only dipping it up the edge of where you've bleached it, this intensifies the bleaching on top creating a faded effect that runs into the stone wash effect. Leave for 2 hours.
  4. Wash in washing machine to clean off the bleach, dry and you're done!
X

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment